Massachusetts Substance Abuse Nursing CEU
Massachusetts License Renewal CE Requirements
Massachusetts State-Mandated Courses
| Prescription Drug Abuse: Opioid Diversion and Best-Practice Prescribing
REQUIRED FOR RHODE ISLAND NURSES; MASSACHUSETTS NURSE PRACTITIONERS; NEW JERSEY NURSES Factors contributing to misuse/abuse of prescribed pain medications; most commonly abused and/or diverted drugs; managing chronic pain and CDC guidelines for prescribing opioids for chronic pain; best practices for prescribing controlled substances.
Massachusetts License Renewal Information
Nursing CEU Requirements
As per the MA Board of Registration in Nursing, Massachussetts nurses need 15 hours of continuing education each renewal period. Registered Nurses (RN) renew bi-annually in even-numbered years on the nurse's birthday. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) renew bi-annually in odd-numbered years on their birthday.
Mandatory Continuing Education Requirement:
Training on domestic and sexual violence required for LPN, RN and APRN license renewal. This mandatory training can be included as a portion of the 15 contact hours required for license renewal. This training needs to be taken in person and cannot be done online.
Additional Mandatory Continuing Education for Nurse Practitioners/Prescribers:
Per MGL 94C, Section 18(e), all prescribers, upon initial application for MA Controlled Substance Registration and subsequently during each license renewal period, must complete education relative to:
- effective pain management
- the risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication
- identification of patients at risk for substance use disorders
- counseling patients about the side effects, addictive nature and proper storage and disposal of prescription medications
- appropriate prescription quantities for prescription medications that have an increased risk of abuse
- opioid antagonists, overdose prevention treatments and instances in which a patient may be advised on both the use of and ways to access opioid antagonists and overdose prevention treatments
Nurse prescribers may choose any program that meets the required content and is consistent with the Board’s continuing education requirements. Neither the law nor the Board stipulates a specific number of continuing education hours required to fulfill this requirement.